As a Landscape Designer in Santa Clarita, I know that it is important for you to have your March Gardening Tips, so here we go.
It is starting to feel a lot like Springtime! The mornings are still a little chilly, but by mid day it is time to peel off a layer and enjoy the sunshine. The same goes for your garden. It is time to start peeling off some layers of old, do some cleaning up, trimming and sprucing, and of course some planting!
In addition to the list I made for you last year (click here), I’d like to add a few more chores to your list:
9. If you want your strawberries to be bigger and sweeter, you can pinch off the blooms starting now and continue on till May.
10. Don’t forget to add plants that will attract beneficials to the garden – it is especially good for those veggie beds. You want plants that produce nectar or pollen so try some California Native Yarrow, Buckwheat and Asters also Cosmos, Lavenders, and Feverfew will bring your friends around.
11. Speaking of cutting back, it is warm enough to cut back those small ornamental grasses that benefit from a haircut, as well as thyme, sage, rosemary, and mint. Don’t forget to start fertilizing with a nice organic balanced fertilizer.
12. When your stone fruit, pears, and apples reach 1/2″ in diameter you can thin them out to about 5″ apart.
13. This one replaces number 8 – I’m speaking at Green Thumb again this month. Saturday March 23, 2013. I’ll be speaking at 10 about designing with color. I’ll stay around until at least noon, and am always happy to answer questions. Green Thumb is located at 23734 Newhall Ave. Newhall, CA 91321.
If you would like help beautifying your home, and want to create the garden of your dreams, please give me a call 661-917-3521, or visit my website – I’d love to help you!